Forfar vs Raith Seniors

The Loon's welcomed Raith to Station Park on a lovely spring afternoon. Playing downhill and with the wind, Rovers struck early when Chris Jackson floated the ball in to the box from a free kick and Pete Moodie lost his marker and fired the header home. It was soon two as Harvey took the ball in from A defender and played the ball down the middle for Jackson who anticipated Race’s run and let the ball go, Rae ran through on the keeper, took it round the him but took and extra touch and allowed the keeper to block it, his shot was followed up another shot that there keeper did fantastic to save but could only look on as Simpson fired Raith in to a two goal lead.

At this point Raith lost Moodie due to injury and seemed to settle on being two up and switched off.

Neither team were holding back in the challenges but it never boiled over. Forfar pulled one back midway through the half when a long ball over the top found  Danny Smith who bulldozed his way through the defence and fired the ball home despite the best efforts of Harvey in goals who could only get a hand to the shot.

Shortly after another long ball caught the Raith defence sleeping and Danny Smith cut the ball back to the unmarked Stevie Milne to fire home the equaliser.

Despite losing a two goal lead, Raith continued to threaten and took the lead again - a looping ball into the box caught misjudged by the Forfar defender the ball fell to Simpson fired home a 12 yard volley in style

Shortly before half time it was 3 - 3.  Once again the Raith defence was caught out by a long ball and John Mackie burst through to delicately lobbed Jim Harvey in the Raith goal.

Half time 3 - 3

The second half started and Raith dominated the majority of possession and shots and went back in to the lead after a fantastic team goal after a beautiful passing move left Paul Forsyth one on one with the Forfar keeper and he finished in style.

After a foul by David Bauld just outside the box gave Forfar an opportunity to equalise, the shot came in from the right and Harvey managed to get a hand to it and push the ball over the bar.

Forfar continued to press and went 3-5-2 in an attempt to find the equaliser. It duly came with 8 minutes to go when a Fenton was left unmarked in the box and his 10 yard shot was saved by Harvey but the Raith defence failed to clear which allowed Danny Smith to bundle home the rebound. Both teams pushed forward for a winner but the final whistle sounded and the game ended all square.

Once again Raith blew the opportunity to take 3 points in a game that they had most of the possession and chances.

The group is now finely poised for a helicopter Sunday at the end of April! It’s still in the hands of Raith as they know all that’s required is a victory over East Fife Seniors to progress to the knockout stage.

Raith Seniors manager Jim Harvey said “overall a draw may have been the right result however it feels like a defeat after being two goals up and plenty of chances to extent the lead prior to letting Forfar back in to the game. We are conceding some weak goals and this will be worked on over the next few weeks”