Owen Nisbet Charity Match

Sunday (26/11/17) saw Raith seniors join force with the Raith Rovers Community Foundation after being invited to play in a charity match in honour of Owen Nisbet against a Kennoway Select.

The match being held at New Bayview stadium kindly donated for the day by East Fife Football Club and Fifers for the Community (FFTC) was delayed by 20 minutes due to the late arrival of the referee's assistance.

A decent size crowd made there way in to the stadium making a fantastic atmosphere with echoes of "ONE OWEN NISBET" being heard within the stadium. The match saw Raith include 4 former professional within there ranks them being Mark McCulloch, Paul McManus, Craig Lumsden and Andy Tod in a cold but sunny afternoon.

The match got off to a cracking start with Raith forced in to an early sub due to an injury to Kevin Mercer and was replaced with Andy Tod with Gemmel dropping back in to midfield and Tod partnering McManus up front however this didn't stop Kennoway driving forward forcing Jason Houston in goals in to some fantastic saves.

Kennoway took a deserved lead with David Nisbet scoring with a cracking strike from 22 yards leaving Houston in goals with no chance at all, full of emotion David ran to the crowd lifting his top and showing his T-shirt bearing the name of young Owen only to receive a harsh yellow card from the referee.

Kennoway contniued to push forward and were guilty of missing several good chances.


Raith Rovers Community Foundation 0-1 Kennoway.

Raith started the 2nd half with the defensive partnership of Tod and Lumsden with McCuloch in midfield and McManus taken up the whole between the midfield and forwards.

Raith began to push forward with the getting back in to the game after Lawson out McManus through on the keeper and fired home in style.

This sparked Kennoway in to action with them taken the lead 9 minutes later with Lindsay firing home.

The game was now flowing free with both teams given 100% and action at both ends but it was Raith that struck next with McManus once agin firing home to make it 2-2.

Both teams continued to push forward and John Shields deflected strike put Kennoway back in the lead.

Within 2 minutes Raith struck back thanks to a ball in to the box that saw McManus turn and as he went ti finish he was pulled down for a penalty, desperate to score McManus handed over the ball to Chris Bathgate who stepped up with confidence and fired in to the bottom right to level things up again.

With 5 minutes left on the clock Big Gordi pulled a Kennoway lad down in the box and up stepped David Nisbet to fire home sparking a mini pitch invasion this time the referee saw sense and didn't book David for his celebration.

There was no further scoring in the match with Kennoway winning by 4-3 in what was a terrific game of football with over 2350 being raised for charity.

On behalf of the Raith team we would like to thank all those that donated, sponsored and turned up to make what was an unforgettable and emotional day.