Match Report vs St Johnstone

St Johnstone 5-5 Raith Seniors AFC

Today’s match was played at a high tempo with challenges sliding all over the park but that was probably due to the amount of water lying on the park and the continued rain fall.

St Johnstone went 1 up early on after a poor defensive clearance. Raith pushed forward to trying and level and missed several chances before Mark Anderson managed to score after being put through one on one with the goalkeeper.

Midway through the first half the Raith got a free kick 25 yards out on the left touchline with Andi Gordon teeing up to take the free kick before manager Jim Harvey instructed Andi to get in the box and allow Craig Stewart to take the freekick.

Craig floated the ball in to the back post for Paul Lawson to head home on his debut. St Johnstone levelled things up just before halftime time.

5 mins in to the second half Mark was once again played through 1 on 1 with the keeper and calmly finished putting Raith back in to the lead.

Once again Raith poor defending allow St Johnstone back in to the game. A corner from the left was floated in to the box and poor marking from the Raith defence allowed a free header leaving Bishop helpless in goals, came was level at 3-3. The pitch was cutting up heavily and with the rain it was making playing conditions very difficult.

65 mins a delightful throw in from Chris Bathgate set Kevin Mercer on a mazy running, he beat 5 players before firing Home putting Raith 4-3 up.

Once again Raith failed to defend properly and some comical defending allowed the Saints to make it 4-4.

90 minute, Mark Anderson fired a 25 yard free kick that was superbly tipped over by the Keeper, from the resulting corner a shot from Anderson was cleared off the line and some ping pong in the box commenced before St Johnstone managed to clear the ball out to the box where Andi Gordon managed to fire home on the volley from 25 yards out. All that Raith needed to do was hold out for the final seconds.

Deep in to injury time (97 mins) some slack defending once again from Raith allowed St Johnstone to level things. A corner from the right towards the back post allowed 2 St Johnstone players to come in to the 6 yard box unmarked an fire home and level things up. Immediately after the goal the referee blew the final whistle.

In summary it was a decent performance from Raith given the poor playing conditions however the match should have been won easily if it wasn't for some slack marking on corners kicks and some individual errors. Today saw Allan Anderson make his first team start and Paul Lawson making his debut for the injured Jim Harvey with Callum Watson coming in at the last minute to assist. Paul and Callum both struggled slightly with the tempo and the physicality of the match but gave a decent account of themself with Paul taken his goal well.


Bishop, Greer, C.Bathgate, A.Anderson, Andi Gordon, Stewart, W.Bathgate, Mercer, McLellan, M.Anderson, Lawson


Docherty, Watson, Harvey